Please stop grossly misusing LDB

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:19 PM

I really don't know how else to put this, so I'll be blunt.  Stop modifying LDB.  You don't even need it for what you're doing, the fact that you're adding things to LDB proves this.  Beyond that, modifying the library at run time is a very VERY *VERY* bad thing to do.  You're going to screw over other addons that use the library, and you're going to break the embed upgrade path.  You should never EVER modify a running library unless you're the author of that library.  Instead you should either...

* Submit a patch to the author (best option)

* Fork off a new library, that way your modifications don't break everyone else (if the author won't accept your patch)

* Understand the library's design and intended use, realize that the library is NOT what you want, and use something else or write your own library that does the things you need.

So please, for the love of Dog, stop modifying LDB at runtime.  If you absolutely *must* modify the library, do it in a way that will not effect every other addon that uses the library for it's intended use.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Realize that most libraries running inside WoW are _shared_. Yes. The modifications you do to the .lua file under your folder will affect every other addon using it as well. There is no such thing as process separation or virtualization in the WoW Lua interpreter environment.

Jul 3, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I toned down the title.

We'll take a look at this and find ways to get the functionality we want with out making runtime edits to the library. If LDB ends up not being worth it, we'll stop using it.

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:07 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.